Following a checklist while in the process of moving can be the key to a successful move! Take into consideration the following tips to add to your list before relocating!
Moving and changing addresses can cause a lot of confusion for future mailing.
Before you move, we recommend the following:
- Send out a “We are Moving” card to friends and family! Take this opportunity to take a cute family photo in front of your old home or your new home. Use this photo and print on a card with text saying “We are moving!” and provide your new mailing address. Send these cards out to friends, family, and coworkers. You can order cute cards from websites like Minted and Shutterfly.
- Before moving, it is important to change all of your mailing addresses for all billing and subscriptions you are a part of. By taking an hour or so of your day, log into all of your accounts and change your mailing and billing addresses. By doing this before you move, you will avoid any missed mail and therefore missed bills.
During your move:
- Pack smart! When you pack smart, the move into your new house will be much easier. Our first suggestion is to order labels from amazon that can be taped or stuck on your moving boxes. Such labels should be color coordinated and include categories such as: Master Bedroom, Living Room, Kitchen, Office, Nursery, etc. Whether you hire a moving company or moving yourself, having labels on your boxes allows you to organize your belongings room by room when unpacking a moving truck.
- PURGE! There is no time like the present when moving to a new place to purge any unused items in your household. This is also a good time to sell any unwanted furniture and start fresh with new pieces that fit the look of your new home.
After your move:
- Just like getting a new car and getting accustomed to all the new bells and whistles, you will have to learn about your new home. Educate yourself on where the important appliances are in your house. For example, it is essential to know where to shut the water off in your house if you ever are experiencing a leak. These are typically found on the outside of your house. It is also helpful to know where your electrical panel and shutoff valves are located in case of an electrical outage or you are in the process of installing new lighting throughout your house.
- One of the first things to check off your list is setting up your new home security system. You want to feel safe in your new home and by getting this task taken care of within the first few days of living in your new place can provide a peace of mind during a stressful period.