If you plan to pack up your belongings yourself, it will be helpful to prepare and gather the right materials before you start packing. Having the right boxes and packing materials will help prevent any damages to your stuff. Use this guide to help you navigate what kind of supplies and moving boxes are recommended for each type of belonging.
You can order any of these items on Amazon or go to a local Home Depot, Lowes, or U-Haul location. By the time you have your inventory list of what you own, you will be able narrow down what supplies and boxes you need. See below the types of boxes and supplies that are most common for moves:
- Box for Mirrors & Pictures – A really narrow and thin box can accommodate different size mirrors, paintings, and other fragile items.
- Boxes for Books – These small cartons are designed for heavier items, such as books, movies, office supplies and even canned goods.
- A Box for Your Mattress – This is a very common box to protect mattresses that is usually available in all bed sizes. You can also wrap your mattress in plastic to avoid dirt and/or water damage.
- Medium Size Box – This box is intended for non-fragile and somewhat heavy items. These items could include kitchen supplies such as pots & pans or linen items like sheets or folded clothes. Toys and games can also be packed in medium sized boxes.
- Large Size Box – This box is large and bulky, and carries items such as pillows, lamp shades, and comforters. Not necessarily very sturdy but large enough to carefully move bigger but lighter items.
- Boxes for Dishes & Glasses – This box has double thick walls specifically designed to carry dishes, glasses, vases and other fragile items.
- Wardrobe Box with Metal Bar – This box is equipped with a medal bar so that clothes can be hanged.
- Legal Tote Box – This small box is small is intended for paperwork, folders and files.