With housing prices continuing to rise even faster than the thermometer this summer, many homeowners are looking to cash in on this hot market! The summer is already the busiest season for moving, so in a year like 2022, where there are even more sellers in the market, the little details can be the difference between maximizing the offer you get or being disappointed in your results. Make sure you take a look at our top tips to corner the housing market this summer!
- Show For The Summer:If you’ve made the decision to list your house this summer, one of the first things you need to prioritize are exterior elements that will show off the summer. Make sure that your landscaping is clean and well kept, treat and mow your lawn, and pressure wash your driveway. You want potential buyers to come to your home and think about the fun ahead for their summer in your home, not how much work they will have to do to maintain it. Spending a little extra time and care, can put your house well above other sellers this summer.
- Emphasize The Outdoors:Besides having landscaping and lawn elements taken care of, summer sales can often hinge on highlighting your outdoor living spaces. Summer is a time for fun in the sun and one of the best strategies for a successful sale is to create an environment that your prospective buyers can easily envision themselves enjoying. If you have a pool, make sure it is well cared for and in its best condition. Also, consider investing in new patio furniture to give your outdoor space its maximum appeal. Investing a thousand on the margins like this can produce major returns on your final offer!
- Turn Down The Temperature:As you prepare to sell, have your AC unit checked out and tuned up to peak performance. Also, on the day of a showing, make sure you turn the temperature down a few extra notches! As many ways as there are to enjoy the heat during the summer months, one place that no one wants heat is indoors. You want to show off that your AC unit is running strong and will keep your buyers cool all summer long.
- Less Personality Is More:Although you want your home to be warm and welcoming for potential buyers, it is important to take some of the personal elements out of your home. You want to make sure that buyers are focused on the key elements of the house that they are being told and not focused on learning details about your life and family. Keeping your house inviting, but more in a generic sense will make it easier for a wider range of buyers to step in and envision themselves in your home. This is a key element of enticing the offer that you are looking for!
- List Larger:This last tip on our list is typically something that is discouraged in a normal housing market. Conventional wisdom says to list your house as accurately as possible, however, with prices rising at their current level and properties not staying in the market long, there is some opportunity to list your house slightly above what it might be appraised at. Especially if you live in a coveted area or school district, you might find that you can get some extra value out of your property this summer!