Whether you are moving to a new neighborhood locally or moving across the country, picking a moving company that will get you and your possessions there safely and in a cost effective manner is a stressful process. While it can be difficult to trust a company you don’t know, thankfully there are more resources and safeguards to make sure you get the right movers for your job than ever before! Take a look at our top 5 tips to select the best movers for your job.
- Know Your Job: Just like with any service based job, the chances of success are improved by selecting a company that has more experience in your job. If you have antiques or specialty items, selecting a company that has good reviews in standard moves, but has little experience in moving valuables might still be the wrong company for your specific needs. Also, consider that different companies have specialties in local versus long-distance moves and make sure that you target the right ones for your move. Although you would hope companies would admit when a job is outside their normal area, often, it is up to you, as the consumer, to make that call!
- Read The Reviews: Where word of mouth used to be the standard, now you are no longer limited to the opinions of your circle! Make sure to check out the reviews of any moving company that you are interested in hiring for your upcoming move. Look for companies with a high number of reviews and a good average score on them. Make sure to read through a good number of them as well to get a feel for the areas that the company excels at as well as what they may not do as well. Also, just like any review situation, be wary of the best and the worst reviews. Accidents and disgruntled people happen, but judging a mover on their most unhappy customers, provided that it’s a small percentage, is not wise either.
- Be Wary Of Deposits: Although a small deposit is not out of the ordinary for movers, watch out for any company that asks for a large sum upfront before your move. Especially if you settled on a lower budget moving company or are looking to save money, you might stumble upon a company that is trying to take advantage of you. Although most movers are reputable, it is still wise to have your guard up for the ones that are looking to make a quick buck at your expense.
- Check For Accreditation And Awards: Everyone likes to do things in a cost effective way, but make sure that that isn’t at the expense of your possessions. When shopping for the best moving company for your job, check out their website for awards and to make sure that they are a licensed and insured moving company. Also, take the time to check what they say and ask the company for a copy of their license and insurance documents. Most movers that are on the level will be more than happy to provide this documentation. If you run into a company that hesitates or is unwilling, that is a great sign that you should look in a different direction.
- Get At Least Three Quotes: Although it can be tempting to go with the first company that you feel comfortable with, make sure that you take the extra step of getting multiple quotes for your move. Make sure that all three have been vetted with the steps above and we would suggest mentioning to the moving company that you are getting multiple quotes. Although it doesn’t always have any impact, a company’s desire to win your business can lead to a better quote or the inclusion of certain extras and services to win your business. Never hurts to try!