Did your moving experience not go as planned? Sometimes with a professional moving company, you may run into an issue out of your control. For example, what if the driver of your belongings gets into an accident? What if your items in that move were somehow damaged from the accident? Could your schedule accommodate a delay if weather, traffic, etc. poses an issue for the driver?
In the unfortunate event that you experience a moving setback of any kind, let’s assess some methods in which you can use a bad moving experience to your benefit.
- Make Your Life Less Cluttered – Having extra time to sort through your belongings right before moving can help you get rid of items you don’t really use. This is an opportunity to lighten your load and make travel easier. You can consider having a last-minute garage sale to earn a few more bucks or donate any items to a local business.
- More time with your Friends & Family – Last minute delay from the moving company and you can’t move until the following day? Don’t fret! Use this extra time to see family or friends and enjoy one last night out on the town! Enjoy a nice dinner at your favorite restaurant and take pictures to remember your last night. Instead of stressing over a delay, use it to your advantage and reminisce.
- Decorate & Clean! – So you just got to your new place and you have to wait a full two days for your items to disembark from the moving company? Instead of just sulking around the house, use the extra time to think about decorating or cleaning your blank space before it gets filled with moving boxes and unbuilt furniture. Use the moving company’s delay as an opportunity to get your new home ready and prepped for settling in – even if your furniture is still in the back of a moving truck.
- Relax & Be Creative – Yes, it can be boring and lonely to have an empty apartment just waiting for your belongings to arrive. So why not get your creative juices going? Order a pizza and set up you phone to watch a good movie on Netflix. You can even pull out a notebook and pen (or use the notes app on your phone) and start getting creative with your hopes and dreams for your new place.
- Try and Get a Partial Refund – If you have a major moving delay and the professional company you hired are directly responsible, you can negotiate a discount. This is why it is important to make sure that you carefully review your moving agreement before you sign it. If you are unable to resolve a financial dispute with your mover, federal law allows you to have your situation decided by a neutral arbitrator. Learn more about claims and disputes on our featured blog.